Herb-Crusted Petite Roast with Fig-Onion RElish
Top sirloin Roast
- 1 beef Top Sirloin Petite Roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon coarse grind black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup dried Mission and/or Calimyrna figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine Seasoning ingredients; reserve 2 teaspoons for Sauce. Press remaining seasoning evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat-side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F oven 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours for medium rare; 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, prepare Relish. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add onions and reserved 2 teaspoons seasoning. Cook 20 to 25 minutes or until onions are tender and lightly browned. Add figs, water and vinegar; bring to a simmer. Simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until liquid has reduced and thickened. Remove from heat; season with salt, as desired. Keep warm.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with Relish.