Pepper-Crusted Tri-Tip Roast with Garlic-Sherry Sauce
- 1 beef Tri-Tip Roast (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely crushed mixed peppercorns (black, white, green and pink)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine Rub ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 50 minutes for medium doneness.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 20-25 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Meanwhile, prepare Sauce. Combine sherry and garlic in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Dissolve cornstarch in broth; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and ground black pepper, as desired.
- Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce.